Liminal Face Masks
A different kind of custom face mask.
Embracing the innate beauty and expression of handmade things.
For every single mask purchase, we are donating 40 meals to The LA Regional Food Bank.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
One in four people in Los Angeles County experiences food insecurity.
Your purchases helped to provide over 3320 meals to feed hungry neighbors, children, seniors and families in Los Angeles County.
Liminality (from the Latin word līmen, meaning “a threshold”) is the quality of ambiguity that occurs in the middle stage of a rite of passage, when participants no longer hold their pre-ritual status but have not yet begun the transition to the status they will hold when the rite is complete. During a rite’s liminal stage, participants “stand at the threshold” between their previous way of structuring their identity, time, or community, and a new way, which completing the rite establishes.
The dissolution of order during liminality creates a fluid, malleable situation that enables new institutions and customs to become established.
Our 3 layer Liminal Masks have been handmade in our studio in West Los Angeles with keen attention to design, usability, and sustainability. We’ve used remnant material whenever possible and all natural dyes.
We have been prototyping the design and development over the past year to come up with an optimal design. This mask is the 5th iteration, based on the K95 mask upper, and darted chin, the articulated design allows for conversations with minimal slippage.
- High quality natural, and sustainable cork, line the nose bridge for a soft, non-slip feature.
- Incorporates a lightweight metal noseband to customize to any face for maximum comfort and is optimized to keep its shape through multiple uses.
- Outer layer of tight woven 8oz natural cotton and a soft, Inner layer of natural silk, breathable jersey lining for maximum comfort.
- The adjustable ear loops are made of cotton twill with cork fittings that size to each individual face*.
- Pull tab at chin for quick adjustments and minimal contact with the front of mask.
*Our masks are designed to fit on as many face sizes as possible, but we have not fit-tested them on kids. Per CDC guidelines, cloth masks should not be placed on children under the age of 2.
Version 2.0 — April 7, 2021Thanks to everyone that took our survey, your input was crucial to this iteration! Based on your feedback, here is what we refined:
- Lower profile nose bridge: Our signature cork nose bridge was minimized. It continues to provide anti-slip functionality while intruding less into your line of sight
- Reduced cheek gaping: We refined the placement of the lower strap to provide a closer fit (esp. for smaller faces).
- All v2.0 masks are now 3 layers: We added a breathable natural silk inner layer. Recent studies have shown silk is not only hydrophobic and resistant to the entry of water but also antimicrobial, antiviral, and antibacterial because of the presence of copper.
- New “Vintage Black” colorway: Hand-dyed vintage black, tight weave cotton exterior, with soft khaki jersey liner.
- New Lanyard option: Modeled after vintage military lanyards, it’s fully adjustable with natural cork fittings and tactical SF mini clasps.
Liminal: Vintage Black
“Vintage Black” colorway. Hand-dyed vintage black, tight weave cotton exterior, natural silk inner layer, with soft khaki jersey liner. Finished with ivory cork nose bridge and back cork fittings.
Out of Stock
Truth to materials with minimal intervention. The original. The “Brut” mask is natural color tight weave cotton with navy accents and liner. Finished with coffee-colored cork nose bridge and fittings.
Out of Stock
Liminal: Terre Mérite
Our “Terre Mérite” mask is hand dyed using organic, food grade Turmeric. Turmeric is a fugitive pigment that, when exposed to environmental conditions, are less permanent. Over time the color may change, lighten, darken or disappear. Coffee-colored cork accents and fittings.
Out of Stock
Our “Sumi” mask is hand dyed using natural, carbon based ink giving a soft, mottled gray tint. A fugitive pigment, when exposed to environmental conditions, may be less permanent. Over time the color may change, lighten, darken or disappear. This mask is finished with black cork details.
Out of Stock
Our “Boro” mask consists of a light chambray outer layer with a simple yet distinct hand embroidered design, natural silk middle layer, and soft, breathable grey jersey inner layer. It is finished with coffee-colored cork details.
There is a version with out embroidery as well.
Out of Stock
- Begin fitting a mask to your face by gently bending the metal noseband then place it on face and fit to nose (don’t bend metal piece in half as it will reduce it’s longevity).
- Wrap straps around either ear to fit comfortably and securely.
- Adjust the straps for comfort. The cork fittings will lock it in place.